Here are valuable videos and infographics that should be considered when educators are moving to e-setting.
1- The Five Stage Model:
Salmon the author of the five stage model provides a scaffold for structured and paced programme of e-tivities. The five-stage-model offers the essential support and development to e-learners at each stage as they build up expertise in learning online ( Salmon, n.d.). Here is a video that briefly explains the model.
published by UWA Centre for Education Futures,2016, February 8.
- Salmon, G. (n.d.). The Five Stage Model [Video post]. Retrieved from https://www.gillysalmon.com/five-stage-model.html
2- Teaching Presence in Online Learning
Pelz‘s final principle is to “strive for presence”( as cited in Hanover Research Council,2009, July). There are three forms of presence for which to strive in online learning environments: Social Presence, Cognitive Presence, or Teaching Presence (Hanover Research Council,2009, July). In the following video DR. Mark Kassel provide a variety of strategies and advices for educators to be seen, to be heard and be there for their learners.
Dr. Mark Kassel discusses establishing teaching presence within a Community of Inquiry in an online instructional environment.
- Fox Chapel Area School District. (2011, April 7). Teaching Presence in online learning [Video Post]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9izxQXDgkNA
- Hanover Research Council. (2009, July). Best Practices in Online Teaching Strategies. Irvine Distance Learning Center, 3(2). Retrieved from http://www.uwec.edu/AcadAff/resources/edtech/upload/Best-Practices-in-Online-
3- A Gradual Approach to use Discussion Forums toward Building a Learning Community
The gradual design approach for designing the discussion forums suggested by Heath can enhance learners’ participation (2017, September 9), her approach has four subsequent phases that span from beginning of course till the end, it starts with introductory forums as first step to connect learners and get them to know one another, then problem solving forums that allow learners to think together to solve simple problems, followed by critical thinking and gathering opinions forums which imply learners to discuss real-life problem and case studies, and last trust and support forums where learners advice and help one another at an emotional level (Heath, 2017, September 9)
Heath, A. (2017, September 9). Facilitating Communities of Practice in Online Courses. Faculty Focus. Retrieved from https://www.facultyfocus.com/resources/online-learning/teaching-strategies-and-techniques-online-learning/facilitating-communities-practice-online-courses/
4- The Fully Online Learning Community Model
Online learning communities can be personally transformational when educators encourage learners bring their own context into the community (Donovan, 2015 October 8). In the following YouTube video, the author provides highlights on the Fully Online Learning Community model FOLC.
- Donovan, J. (2015, October 8). The Importance of Building Online Learning Communities [Blog post]. ValuED. Retrieved from http://blog.online.colostate.edu/blog/online-education/the-importance-of-building-online-learning-communities/
- Research Shorts. (May 24, 2017). Creating a Powerful Fully Online Learning Community[Video post]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk1kVbMfbXE
“TED-Ed is a lesson creator platform that allows educators to structure an assignment around a video and assess students’ engagement with the material”(Online Tools for Teaching and Learning). The following You Tube demonstrates how to use the platform.
- EmergingEDTech. (2014, January 17). 3 Minute Teaching With Tech Tutorial – Create a Flipped Video Lesson with TedEd [Video Post]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPPbAcY9s-M
- Online Tools for Teaching and Learning. (n.d.). TED Ed [Blog Post]. University of Massachusetts Amherst. Retrieved from https://blogs.umass.edu/onlinetools/assessment-centered-tools/teded/
The following video takes you into the future into a day made of glass. I questioned my readiness for these technical advancements.
- Corning Incorporated. (2012, February 3). A Day Made of Glass 2: Same Day. Expanded Corning Vision (2012)[Video Post]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZkHpNnXLB0&feature=youtube_gdata_player